Financial help if you or your staff are self isolating

posted in: Welwyn Hatfield 2

Dear Members,

If you or your staff are self isolating, you can claim money from the government. If you have self employed team members and are concerned that you will be paying them less in the coming months, get them to claim benefits now. If things look up you can pay them, if not they will be supported.

See details below from

For people who need to make a new claim for financial support

We understand people who are required to stay at home or are infected by coronavirus may need financial support, and quickly.

We announce that:

  • those affected by coronavirus will be able to apply for Universal Credit and can receive up to a month’s advance up front without physically attending a jobcentre
  • the 7 waiting days for ESA for new claimants will not apply if they are suffering from coronavirus or are required to stay at home – so it will be payable from day one

Employees and self-employed people

To make sure people in work can take the necessary time off to stay at home if they are suffering from coronavirus or to prevent its spread, changes have been made to Statutory Sick Pay and how Universal Credit supports self-employed claimants.

This includes:

  • people who cannot work due to coronavirus and are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay will get it from day one, rather than from the fourth day of their illness – we intend to legislate so this measure applies retrospectively from 13 March 2020
  • Statutory Sick Pay will be payable to people who are staying at home on government advice, not just those who are infected, from 13 March 2020 after regulations were laid on 12 March 2020 – employers are urged to use their discretion about what evidence, if any, they ask for
  • if employees need to provide evidence to their employer that they need to stay at home due to coronavirus, they will be able to get it from the NHS 111 Online instead of having to get a fit note from their doctor – this is currently under development and will be made available soon
  • self-employed claimants on Universal Credit who are required to stay at home or are ill as a result of coronavirus will not have a Minimum Income Floor (an assumed level of income) applied for a period of time while affected


The government wants to ensure businesses are supported to deal with the temporary economic impacts of an outbreak of coronavirus.

Employers with fewer than 250 employees will be able to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay for employees unable to work because of coronavirus. This refund will be for up to 2 weeks per employee.

Find out about other government support for businesses.

2 Responses

  1. Matthew Smith
    | Reply

    Thanks for posting this so quickly Nick, hopefully we will hear from wel-hat council soon re how to make a claim.

    • Nick Brown
      | Reply

      Matthew hi,
      Yes lets wait and see.
      I have just recommended to the Bid Board that they dont ask for Ratepayers money on 5th April, if they are not delivering events. It looks at if they might listen to that.

      Re WHDC, I spoke to Grants team yesterday, the guidelines for councils are still being drawn up. Given that the first case in China was 17th November, it does make you wonder what the 5.42 million public sector staff have been doing for the last 4 months. Thats 120 days time 8 hours a day times 5.42 million, that it 5.2 billion man hours, not being prepared. At £30 an hour is £156 billion. Perhaps we should ask for a refund. Police, Nurses, firemen etc excepted.

      It would be interesting to know what is they were doing that was more important than stopping the destruction of the economy.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *