We were surprised to read this, and we suspect it shows the very real overseas money that is coming to London. Also the prestige in which Quality Goods from England are held by World markets. We think that this Quality Assurance based upon English Integrity, represents opportunity for exports in other areas.
We are working with UKTI, The CII, The Indian High Commission, and a range of other organisations to identify what overseas importers would like to import from England.
Article from Real Business
Pearls, gems, precious metals and coins were the fastest-growing export category among the top ten items.
The UKs top ten exports accounted for 74.6 per cent of the overall value of its global shipments in 2013, according to the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook Database.
Furthermore, exports accounted for 22.7 per cent of total UK economic output.
- Pearls, gems, precious metals and coins: £58,544,016,505 (18 per cent of total exports)
- Machinery: $70,364,012,000 (13%)
- Mineral fuels including oil: £42,316,564,997 (11.5 per cent)
- Vehicles excluding trains and streetcars: £29,842,769,695 (9.2 per cent)
- Pharmaceutical products: £19,400,359,207 (six per cent)
- Electronic equipment: £18,615,930,240 (5.8 per cent)
- Optical, technical and medical apparatus: £11,147,461,930 (3.4 per cent)
- Aircraft and spacecraft: £10,589,936,289 (3.3 per cent)
- Organic chemicals: £7,691,241,858 (2.4 per cent)
- Plastics: £7,218,461,794 (2.2 per cent)